Saturday, July 16, 2011

Awkward Situations For Men

As I sit outside a toilet on a packed train to London, a random lady sitting next to me, her husband standing over me willing me to be polite enough to give up my chair while he stares at my wife’s handbag that I am carrying even though Jean is not on the train, I think to myself:

‘This is absolutely the perfect time to start reading this book.’

Awkward Situations For Men - by Danny Wallace.

Who is Danny Wallace?

Don’t feel bad for asking, he’s been mistaken for a lot of people: The Man U player who ran a five-day marathon, the son of William Wallace and the black actor from the Lethal Weapon films.
Having now read his book, I’m led to believe all of these are incorrect.

Danny Wallace is the man behind the book behind the film “Yes Man” starring Jim Carrey. Having not read “Yes Man,” I shouldn’t really comment on it, but having read ASFM, I’m going to guess the book is significantly better than the film. He’s also the genius who started Dave Gorman on the right track.

But getting back to the point: ASFM is a great book.

It’s an auto-biography of a year of Danny’s life. According to Wiki, Danny will be 35 in November. I am very much looking forward to reading the other 34 volumes in the series.

This book, however, is so much more than just an auto-biography. It is, as Jonathan Ross points out on the cover, “very funny, very clever, very charming” and having read it I am now very much in love with Danny.

So much so, that I really, really hope that I NEVER meet him.
There’s no way he could live up to the fantasies going on in my head.

I will, however, consider buying “Yes Man” and his other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment